This course will provide a comprehensive introduction to the world of rare books and special collections and participants will learn the vital skills needed to excel in this field. Quizzes and homework will allow participants to put their new-found knowledge to use immediately.
- Identify the core skills and knowledge needed to successfully manage rare books and special collections
- Understand methods for digitization of rare books
- Recall methods for caring and preserving rare books and special collections
- Recognize the importance of rare book collection development
Carmen Cowick provides training, support and consulting services for libraries in the areas of preservation and collections care. She previously worked as a preservation specialist at Amigos Library Services and in the library and archives of The American Irish Historical Society, The Seamen's Church Institute, and the Special Collections department at CUNY Queens College. She received a bachelor's degree in art history and a master's degree in library science with a certificate in archives and preservation of cultural materials from CUNY Queens College in New York City.
Ms. Cowick has written numerous scholarly articles on preservation-related topics and is the author of the books Digital Curation Projects Made Easy and Crash Course in Disaster Preparedness.
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the course start and finish?
This course starts on September 24, 2018. It is an asynchronous online course designed to be completed in 4 weeks. Participants will spend approximately 2 hours each week on viewing lectures, answering quizzes, and completing homework assignments. It is recommended that you complete each week's work within that week to stay in sync with other learners.
When is the last day for registration?
September 21, 2018
Will the instructor be available for feedback and questions?
Absolutely! Your instructor will provide feedback for each assignment and will be available via email or phone for any questions you may have. A discussion forum is also available where participants can post questions.
How long do I have access to the course material?
You will have unlimited access for three months from the start date of this course.
Will I receive a Certificate of Completion?
In order to receive a Certificate of Completion you must:
1. View all video lectures
2. Answer all quizzes
3. Complete all homework assignments
When you complete these three items you can expect to receive you certificate within 2 weeks.
I am having trouble enrolling. Help!
We're sorry to hear this. Here are some options:
1. Try enrolling with a different browser or with a different device (laptop, tablet, smart phone, etc.)
2. Call us at 214-945-3890 M-F 9am-5pm CT and we can take your credit card payment over the phone.
3. Request that we send you an invoice. This will be emailed to you and you can pay through the link provided in the invoice.
What if I am unhappy with the course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 14 days and we will give you a full refund.
This course is not open for enrollment.