How to Salvage Wet Materials
4-Week Course Starts September 20, 2021
Learn how to salvage wet items of all types in your collection. Detailed, step-by-step instructions will provide participants with the knowledge to salvage books, paper, photographs, film, textiles, sound and video recordings, and much more. Quizzes and homework assignments allow participants to put their new-found knowledge to use.
- Identify the main methods of recovery involved in salvaging wet materials.
- Categorize wet materials by priority.
- Recall and apply salvage techniques for various types of materials.
- Discriminate between items that can and cannot be salvaged
Carmen Cowick provides training, support, and consulting services for libraries in the areas of preservation and collections care. She previously worked as a preservation specialist at Amigos Library Services and in the library and archives of The American Irish Historical Society, The Seamen's Church Institute, and the Special Collections department at CUNY Queens College. She received a bachelor's degree in art history and a master's degree in library science with a certificate in archives and preservation of cultural materials from CUNY Queens College in New York City.
Carmen has written numerous scholarly articles on preservation-related topics and is the author of the books Digital Curation Projects Made Easy and Crash Course in Disaster Preparedness.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is an asynchronous online course designed to be completed in 4 weeks.
Participants will spend approximately 2 hours each week on viewing lectures, answering quizzes and completing discussion, reading, and writing assignments.
It is recommended that you complete each week's work within that week to stay in sync with other learners.
2. Answer all quizzes
3. Complete all assignments
When you complete these three items you can expect to receive you certificate within 2 weeks.
1. Try enrolling with a different browser or with a different device (laptop, tablet, smart phone, etc.)
2. Request that we send you an invoice. This will be emailed to you and you can pay through the link provided in the invoice. Send us an email at [email protected]