Storage Methods: The Best Ways to Store Items in Your Collection
2-Week Course Starts May 10, 2021
This course will teach the best storage and handling practices for a variety of items commonly found in an archive or library. Learn the best way to store bound materials, photographic prints, motion picture film, newsprint, textiles, oversized materials, CDs and DVDs, and much more.
- Identify poor storage practices commonly found in collections.
- Recall and apply proper handling guidelines for different materials in collections.
- Design safe storage environments for a variety of materials.
Maegan Squibb received her Master of Library and Information Science with a concentration in Archives Management from Simmons University. Previously, Maegan worked as the solo Archivist for Endicott College where, in addition to managing her department, she advised on the formation of a campus wide records management program. Maegan also spent time as an Intern at the Boston Architectural College Archives where she worked on various preservation-based projects and assisted a team with the transition from the Preservica system to Archivematica. Additionally, she volunteered at the War Eagles Air Museum where she developed systems for donation organization and preservation methods for vintage uniforms.
In her free time, Maegan holds several positions in her local chapter for Daughters of the American Revolution including Chapter Librarian, Chairman for the Museum Outreach Committee, Chairman for Preservation, and is a member of the Royall House Committee.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is an asynchronous online course designed to be completed in 2 weeks.
Participants will spend approximately 2 hours each week on viewing lectures, answering quizzes, and completing discussion, reading, and written assignments.
It is recommended that you complete each week's work within that week to stay in sync with other learners.
1. View all lectures
2. Answer all quizzes
3. Complete all assignments
When you complete these three items you can expect to receive you certificate within 2 weeks.
1. Try enrolling with a different browser or with a different device (laptop, tablet, smart phone, etc.)
2. Request that we send you an invoice. This will be emailed to you and you can pay through the link provided in the invoice. Send us an email at [email protected]
1. Name(s) of the participant(s)
2. Your organization's name
3. The name of the course you wish to enroll in.