Archival Data Management Systems
4-Week Course Starts October 7, 2019
This course will provide an overview of archival data management systems.Participants will learn the concept of the information life cycle and its influence on the use and retention of archival data. Methods for evaluating the different types of systems and their appropriateness for handling different types of data will be covered. System software discussed include ArchivesSpace, PastPerfect 5.0, DSpace, and CONTENTdm. The course will culminate in developing a plan for implementing an archival data management system that best addresses a hypothetical data set.
Quizzes, discussions, and a written assignment will allow participants to utilize the knowledge gained from this course.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define archival data management systems and discuss the concept of the “information life cycle,” as it relates to data management.
- Differentiate between the primary roles of archival data management and appraise examples of these systems based on cost-effectiveness and usability.
- Develop a hypothetical plan for implementing a system that most appropriately manages a given set of archival data.
Brandon Murray is a Certified Archivist who works in a local history archive at a Dallas-Fort Worth area public library. He has a Bachelor of Arts degree in History from the University of Texas at Arlington, and a Masters of Library Information Science degree from the University of North Texas. Brandon’s previous experience includes over two years of digitization and cataloging of special collection items for the Norwick Center for Digital Solutions at Southern Methodist University.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. View all lectures
2. Answer all quizzes
3. Complete all assignments
When you complete these three items you can expect to receive you certificate within 2 weeks.
1. Try enrolling with a different browser or with a different device (laptop, tablet, smart phone, etc.)
2. Email us at [email protected] for an invoice. This will be emailed to you and you can pay through the link provided in the invoice.