Digital Curation for Librarians and Archivists
4-Week Course starts July 15, 2019
Digital curation is the selection, preservation, maintenance, collection, and archiving of digital assets. While there are a variety of resources out there, very few focus on the absolute, complete beginner. This course is aimed at the digital curation novice and is broken down into four sections for an easy grasp on the subject.
1. An introduction to the topic, focusing on defining digitization, digital preservation, digital curation, and their importance.
2. Understanding if digitization is right for you and what is needed to get a digital project started.
3. General guidelines for any digital curation project.
4. Step-by-step instructions for the most popular types of digitization and digital preservation projects including photographic materials, paper and bound materials, audio, and audiovisual materials.
By the end of this course participants should be able to:
- Understand the differences between digitization, digital preservation, and digital curation.
- Create policies related to digital preservation and collection of digital objects.
- Recall the principles of creating good digital objects.
- Understand how to record appropriate metadata.
- Utilize workflows and checklists to guide throughout the digital life cycle.
Carmen Cowick provides training, support and consulting services for libraries in the areas of preservation and collections care. She previously worked as a preservation specialist at Amigos Library Services and in the library and archives of The American Irish Historical Society, The Seamen's Church Institute, and the Special Collections department at CUNY Queens College. She received a bachelor's degree in art history and a master's degree in library science with a certificate in archives and preservation of cultural materials from CUNY Queens College in New York City.
Ms. Cowick has written numerous scholarly articles on preservation-related topics and is the author of the books Digital Curation Projects Made Easy and Crash Course in Disaster Preparedness.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. View all video lectures .
2. Answer all quizzes .
3. Complete all assignments .
When you complete these three items you can expect to receive you certificate within 2 weeks
1. Try enrolling with a different browser or with a different device (laptop, tablet, smart phone, etc.)
2. Email us at email@example.com for an invoice. This will be emailed to you and you can pay through the link provided in the invoice.